Vlog: Learning how to shoot (Broń w USA cz. 2)
(This is the second part to an earlier vlog in Polish: Broń w USA.)
Along with another couple my wife and I went to the shooting range to learn how to shoot pistols.
It isn't necessary to take a course in order to go out on the range and shoot for the first time, but we felt it was more responsible to learn how to use a gun safely.
Watch the video for clips from the course and on the shooting range!
Read more for a transcript (with Polish translations!)
- So why are you afraid to shoot the gun? Or nervous to shoot the gun?
- I don't know, I feel like I'm going to drop it or something and somebody's leg is going to get shot.
- It's kind of an irrational fear because we know the guy's going to help us and, you know, teach us the safety aspects of it.
- So, I mean you see it on movies and you see it on shows constantly and it seems like it's so easy for them and there's no kickback or anything, they're just professionals, but...
- Maybe afterwards we'll love guns, we'll think guns are awesome.
- Well... Not... I don't think I...
- I definitely don't want them to be legalized, you know, as far as people around the neighborhood just carrying them around town
- So, Niki, are you excited to shoot a gun?
- Yes, I'm not... I wanna... I don't know.
- I just got excited like 10 minutes ago, because I like...
- Oxygen started coming to my brain
- It just occurred to you that you were going to shoot something
- It's very hot, yes.
- I haven't shot, um...
- I used to shoot a .30-30 which has a large butt when I was a kid up north.
- And I used to shoot at targets, like we'd do cans and jars and that kind of thing.
- Were you good at?
- Yeah, I was pretty good at it and I haven't done it in a really long time, though.
- So, it's no indication of me now.
- So, out of all of us you have the most gun shooting experience?
- I guess.
- It's been a really long time.
- Josh, have you ever shot a gun?
- No, no I have not.
- But you said you always wanted to?
- Yep, yep, for sure
- I have a feeling it'll be very therapeutic.
- Cathartic, very cathartic?
- There you go
- Are you nervous about it
- No, no not really
- You trust in your ability to not kill anyone of us accidentally?
- Accidentally? No.
- Only if we deserve it!
- Yeah, there you go
- We're friends right? Yay!
- I have experience clay shooting, when I was 14.
- That's the only gun I've ever shot.
- So, when you went clay shooting were you good at it?
- Ah, not really.
- Yeah? How many did you hit?
- I don't remember I was just a kid.
- I only hit like 5, I think, but I don't remember out of how many, so...
- But I was good at archery.
- If it was me, I'd be happy if I hit any one.
- Because those things are tiny, man!
- I suppose you're shooting a shotgun. That widens it up a bit.
- Yeah, yeah
- I do a lot of things with my left hand
- Like I take my contacts in and out with my left hand
- I don't know
- I just wanted to catch the place where were doing this
- ... over the top here, seeing the little red dot down in the center here of the sight
- Now take a breath in the nose
- Let it out the mouth
- Finger off the trigger
- Barrel in a safe direction
- She lost her middle finger there for a bit, ok
- There, you heard the click, now it's at the short
- Now you let it come all the way down, it's the double action
- Oh, ok
- You want to stop it at the point of the click
- Ok, so hold it
- Pull back a little bit
- Let it come forward, not the trigger yet
- Oh, sorry
- Would you like to exchange pistols?
- I think I'm doing this wrong already
- And now I put this in your left hand
- No, my right hand
- No, no
- No, your left hand
- And then I turn it like this, right?
- There you did it right
- You ready to actually shoot a gun now?
- Oh, yeah
- Do you feel less nervous?
- I feel a lot more confident, definitely
- Now that I know how to load it and where the safety is and how to take the magazine out and everything
- Yeah, yeah
- I started out feeling really paranoid just to touch the gun
- I'm really glad that we didn't opt to take the 10 minute quick fix instruction
- Right, right, where they just hand you one
- Here, hold it, go!
- Go shoot something!
- Not yourself, not your friend
- She got him in the center and in the cheek bone and she gave him a new earring
- That yellow dude is dead!
- He lost an ear lobe
- Are you getting me?
- Now, did you want to stick with the .22?
- Yeah, yeah
- Did you want to trade pistols with David because the other one was the one you're more familiar with
- Jesus Christ, that's loud!
- Take the magazine out
- You can load those into that magazine
- Yeah, that's hard to shoot actually
- Is it?
- It's got a lot of kick
- Gotta get some loose arms here
- Are french fries ok?
- What else are the options?
- So, Josh, how do you feel after shooting the gun?
- It really loosened you up?
- Yeah, yeah, for sure
- What was your favorite gun?
- I really liked the Glock
- I think the Glock was fun
- What did you like about it?
- The power
- How do you feel after shooting?
- I feel good, I feel less stressed
- I also feel awkward in front of a camera
- What was your favorite gun?
- Definitely the Glock
- So, how do you feel after shooting?
- I feel good, I feel really, really good
- Just kind of therapeutic, you know
- When you got out there, were you still a little nervous?
- Um, yes, I was a little bit nervous, like, when I first was holding a loaded gun
- But then after the first shot I was fine
- Unlike everyone else at the very beginning I was totally nervous
- When we went out there and I'm like, "Can I press it now? Is it OK? Is it cool?"
- But you know what I was really surprised about was, we were only like -- what was that like 10 yards or something out?
- 10, er, it was...
- What was what?
- How far out do you think we put the targets?
- It was seventy five feet all the way down
- Like fourty, thirty something like that
- That red line I think was fourty two and a half
- Yeah, so at 10 yards I was amazed at how accurately I could aim
- It was crazy
- Like with the .22, I just shot right in the middle and they all went right in the middle
- Yeah, I was like, "I could shoot somebody from pretty frickin far away!"
- You know, that wasn't very close
- It was like 10 yards, I mean, from that distance what you point it at will get shot
- I would do it again
- Me too
- It's like bowling ... with guns
- See ya later