Real Polish: Excellent Polish content for learners!
Since far fewer people study Polish than, say Spanish, Russian or Arabic -- it can be hard to find really great material in Polish for learners.
On the one end of the spectrum, there's no lack of textbooks, grammar references, phrasebooks or vocabulary lists. On the other end, it's easy to get books, movies or podcasts intended for native speakers of Polish. But it's difficult to find something in between.
Today I'm going to review Real Polish. It's a collection of videos and podcasts (audio) -- all in Polish! -- for learners at any level (beginner, intermediate, advanced). And almost all of the material is completely free!
Read more for the full review!
They are entirely in Polish, making great use of the video format to show, rather than explain.
Video #32: How to make coffee
This video includes very conversational, polite vocabulary that would be useful every day!
Here are some more examples:
- New vs. old (nowy/stary): very simple and short vocabulary lesson
- Full vs. empty (pełny/pusty): also includes some question/answer (What is in the box? There is something in the box) and other vocabulary
- Top vs. bottom, up vs. down
At the time of this writing, there are 10 items in the "Interesting Stuff" series for intermediate learners. They are mostly podcasts (audio) about interesting topics, for example:
- Tłusty Czwartek: Fat Thursday, the Thursday before Lent begins, which is a very interesting day in Poland!
- Legenda o księciu Popielu: the Legend of Prince Popiel, a legendary 9th century ruler.
- Kłopoty z samochodem: A short story about having car problems and going to the mechanic.
All of the podcasts include a transcript and usually follow this format:
- First, the story is told slowly and simply.
- Next, some difficult words are explained.
- And finally, the story is told quickly and naturally, as a native Polish speaker would normally speak.
If you are a user of iTunes, you can subscribe to the Real Polish podcasts here.
Interesting stuff #10: Wielkanoc (Easter):
The most recent item is a video, which shows the Polish Easter tradition of taking a basket of food to church to be blessed.
Recently, a 52 lesson paid course in business Polish was added. It is currently the only thing on the site that isn't free. I haven't bought the course, so I can't review it. But in the interest of supporting the author of all this great free material, I thought I'd mention it. You can find more information here.
I think that Real Polish is fantastic!
- The video format is used very well
- The lessons are clear and well organized
- Everything is in Polish!
- The language is very natural and authentic
- The audio is high quality and easy to understand
- The topics are interesting and useful
Give it a try!