Real Life in the USA (our product for learning English has launched!)
After eight weeks of really intense work, we've finally launched "Real Life in the USA" - a paid package of texts for Bibliobird, designed to help Poles learn English while simultaneously learning about the USA.
(Normally, I write articles with language learning advice or information about American and Polish culture. Don't worry, we'll return to that next week!)
While everyone in the world is familiar with American movies and TV shows, these representations aren't 100% accurate! However, this is unfortunately how most foreigners form their impressions of the USA, Americans and our culture.
"Real Life in the USA" contains informative articles, fictional stories, interviews and natural conversations with native speakers, covering many topics from everyday life, including: work, education, crime, finding an apartment and many others (read more for the full table of contents!) - all through the eyes of real Americans!
These texts are in English, all include audio (some of it taken from authentic conversations!) and are prepared to be read using Bibliobird, a web application based on the method I used to learn Polish!
Read more for the details and information about getting a discount!
How did I learn Polish?
I learned Polish primarily from reading and listening to books in Polish. Specifically, I started with the Harry Potter books!
On my blog and in my free ebook, I've written extensively about the advantages of reading and especially listening in a foreign language.
But this process can be difficult, time-consuming and sometimes just plain unpleasant!
When I read Harry Potter, I searched for all the unknown words in a dictionary. Sometimes I couldn't find them or didn't understand the meaning of a particular word in the given context. I created flashcards (by hand!) in order to review later what I had learned.
It's quite a bit of work! Which is why some people who try the same method quickly give up.
So, almost 2 years ago, I created Bibliobird!
What is Bibliobird?
Bibliobird.com is a free and Open Source web application which can help you learn English (more languages coming!) by reading and listening to interesting content.
While reading, you can click on an unknown word and receive a translation in Polish (again, more languages coming). All of your unknown words are automatically added to the popular flashcard program, Anki, in order to review them later.
Unlike similar applications, all the translations on Bibliobird are checked and corrected by real people, ie. it's not Google Translate or some other fully automatic process! This means that the translation fits the given context - including things that are particularly difficult for learners, like idioms, slang and phrasal verbs.
In this way, Bibliobird makes the process easier, less time-consuming and allows you to focus on the pleasurable aspects of learning - which decreases the chance that you'll give up!
Real Life in the USA
"Real Life in the USA" is the first paid content for Bibliobird. It's our hope that this product will help support our work on Bibliobird and allow us to add more languages and features!
Both the Basic and Motivated Learner versions include:
- 18 texts containing over 15,000 words total for intermediate and advanced learners - although (with the help of Bibliobird) it should also be accessible to highly motivated learners on lower levels
- 2 videos and 4 natural conversations
- 2 audio recordings for every text: one at a natural speed, the other a little slower - both read by a native speaker!
- Over 3 hours of audio in MP3 format which you can download and listen to on your MP3 player
- Over 100 idioms or slang words/phrases used in everyday life
- Translations marked with the meaning used in the given context (we don't usually do this for our free content)
- Audio for each individual word - not just the whole text (also something not present in the free content)
The "Motivated Learner" version
The only way to fail to learn a language is to give up!
This is why we've decided to create a Motivated Learner version which includes all the features of the Basic version listed above and additionally the following:
- Permanent access to a private forum where you can discuss the texts with us and other people who also bought them. Here you can ask any language related questions or practice using what you've learned!
- Exercises for each text. You can submit your answers and we will correct them. Each includes one writing exercise.
- For four weeks after purchasing the package you will get access to weekly 1-hour meetings via voice chat, where everyone will be able ask at least one question. If not everyone gets a chance to ask their question, of course, we'll go over 1 hour. And if it goes faster, you can ask multiple questions. We'll do the meetings in both Polish and English.
Table of contents
Here is the full table of contents - if you follow the links you can read the introduction to each text!
Buy it now and get a DISCOUNT!
Until October 8th, using the coupon code RLUSASTART, you can buy the Motivated Learner version for 30% off or 35 PLN (about $10). (NOTE: since then we've raised the price!)
We're also offering a 14 day money-back guarantee. If you are dissatisfied with the package for any reason within the first 14 days, all we ask is that you complete a short survey (so we can work on improving it!) and we'll refund your money.
Click here to buy it now!
The money to create this product came from a successful crowdfunding campaign, during which over 200 people bought the package before we even started working on it.
Thank you so much for your support! Without you, we would never have been able create this!
Tell us what you want next!
It's our hope that this is only the first of many packages!
Please fill out this survey to let us know which language you are most interested in learning on Bibliobird and what the next package should be!
(Check out the latest Bibliobird newsletter to learn more about our plans for the near future.)